Pages

Monday 10 April 2017

Guest Blog - A Vodka Kind of Mom



Let me introduce myself!
I am Ashley and I write for a blog called A Vodka Kind of Mom (https://avodkakindofmom.com/ ). 
I started this blog as an outlet for my personal struggles with postpartum depression and anxiety, my struggles as a mother, and my frustrations regarding the politics going on last year. My dream for this blog is to just get people talking, to make people laugh, to bring people together, and to build a community. 
I’ve enjoyed writing thus far, even if no one reads it; I’ve enjoyed it. I “met” Life in the Ginger Lane via Instagram and feel so privileged that they have offered me an opportunity to guest blog.
For this post, I’ve decided to participate in the Blogging From A to Z Challenge (http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/) ; the joys, the struggles, the triumphs, and the battles.
A-  AGING. You never really believe it when other people tell you “They grow up so fast” until you have children of your own and they just keep on growing. They keep hitting milestones, learning new things, and become more and more independent. It’s heartbreaking but so exciting at the same time.
B-  BABIES. I loved this stage of parenthood. I loved the snuggles, soft skin, baby feet, cries, and cuteness. My kids are still cute, but they were dang cute babies, if I do say so myself.
C-  CUDDLES. I love cuddles. I force snuggles on my kids all the time, but thankfully they enjoy snuggles as well. Cash, my older son, will ask for snuggles during nap time or when it’s time to wind down before bed and I just love it every time.
D-  DEAD TIRED. I know some lucky parents get good sleepers. We got lucky the first time around, but Tate likes to get up at 4:30 in the morning. It’s rough! I feel like I am always dead tired. I JUST WANT SLEEP!
E-  ENERGY. Where do kids get all their energy?! Honestly, it’s insane how much energy they have. I feel like they never stop.
F-   FATHERS. I know I am a little biased, but fathers are so important in any child’s life. I am so fortunate that my husband stepped up and adopted my older son and has raised him as his own and does not treat the two boys any different. I love that man and couldn’t do this without him.
G-  GUILT. Also known as mommy guilt. I know I’m not alone in the feeling that I am not doing a good enough job, I’ve done some type of parenting wrong, I’m going to mess my kids up, I’ve already messed my kids up, I don’t spend enough time with them, I yell too much, etc. The list goes on of all the things I feel guilty about as a mother. However, I know no one is perfect and I love my kids and try my best.
H- HEARTBREAK. I think this is just a part of motherhood. It’s heartbreaking when your children are upset, mad at you, physically hurt, mentally hurt, emotionally hurt, whatever it may be. When you’re child’s heart breaks so does yours as a mother.
I-    I LOVE YOU. When your child starts talking or randomly throws out an “I love you” it just melts your heart. I love when my little one comes up to me just to tell me he loves me.
J-   JUSTIFICATION. There is so much mom judging and parent judging going around that every mother finds themselves justifying their parenting at one point or another. I am constantly justifying how I raise my boys and why I do certain things. It’s something I’ve been working on.
K-  KING-SIZE BED. This is a must for any parent! Even if you don’t co-sleep you will end up with children in your bed at some point in time; sometimes more than one child. The bigger the bed the better!
L-   LOVE. I didn’t know this kind of love was real until I had children. That gut wrenching, overwhelming, life changing kind of love. It’s such an amazing feeling and I feel so lucky to get to experience it twice.
M- MAMA. Another great feeling as a mother is when your child starts saying mama. Granted it starts to get annoying when they say “MOMMY” 100 times a day.
N-  NO. A word every parent should say, and say it often. There are too many people who want to be their child’s best friend and let them run the show. Those children are the worst! I think everyone agrees.
O-  OPTIMISM. Of course you have optimism for your children and their futures; there’s no other way to parent. You always want the best for your children and their lives and it’s so exciting when your dreams become a reality.
P-   POTTY TRAINING. I am so thankful Cash, my older son, was so easy to potty train. And I’ve been told younger children pick it up easier and quicker than firstborns! Tate, my younger son, has proven to be more difficult than Cash so I’m hoping that trend doesn’t continue.
Q-  QUIET. I pray for this every single day. I love quiet time in our household and try to soak it all in while I have it. It’s rare that the boys nap at the same time, but when they do it’s GLORIOUS!
R-  ROUTINE. This is one of the biggest tips I give to any new parent or struggling parent. Routine has made our lives so much easier, especially when it comes to bed time.
S-   SORRY. The one word you must continue to pound into your children’s heads until they leave your home. I only have toddlers so I’m hoping this gets better as they get older, but good lord! It’s like we start over every morning.
T-   THANK YOU. This goes along with Sorry. You have to continuously remind your children to say please and thank you.
U-  UNEXPLAINED SITUATIONS. Obviously with boys there are fights but whenever I ask Cash (who is almost 4) what happened and why his brother is crying (he is 16 months old) his response is always “I don’t know.” Mind you he’s the only one that was in the room with him at the time. UGH!
V-  VODKAI feel this one is pretty self-explanatory.
W-  WET WIPES. They clean anything and everything! These things are amazing! They get hair dye off skin and bathroom countertops. They clean the inside of cars. They clean up spills on the carpet. They’re great.
X-  XYLOPHONEDoes anyone else really have a word for X? Because I couldn’t think of a dang thing. And every child I know has had this toy at one point in time.
Y-  YELLING. I’m one of “those moms.” I yell at my kids in public. I refuse to let them act like little brats. No one likes those bratty little kids, they really ruin everyone’s experience wherever you are.
Z-   ZZZZ. Again, as a mother I am constantly tired. I love to catch up on some zzz’s whenever I get the chance. I will sneak naps in any chance I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment